Aimed at off road bikers with some experience,
this tour is a total of 7 days; your arrival & departure days, plus 5 days biking. Level 6-7. (1-10)
You will experience
- Fast tracks across vast dried lake beds
- Sandy river beds and trails
- Rocky tracks up through the southern foothills of the High Atlas Mountains
- Virgin desert sand to the famous Cathedral Dunes at Erg Chebbi (the highest in Morocco!)
- Twisting trails through the palmeries of the Draa Valley
- Jebel Sahro - considered some of the most beautiful mountains in Morocco
- A night in our desert bivouac with musicians and campfire – 50kms from the nearest road
- Excellent accommodation
- Great Food.
- Alcohol every night – we bring the beers & wine to our bivouac!
Day 1 - 7 DAYS TOTAL - 5 DAYS BIKING
Arrival at Ouarzazate airport and transfer to our 3* hotel in the town. (About 5 minutes away.)
Day 2 – (approx. 186km)
Breakfast. Final briefing, and departure for Dades. Afterrefuelling the bikes its straight off-road, 20Kms across a flat plateau andit’s into a sandy and twisting riverbed. From there it’s undulating, fastsections interspersed with rocky trails winding their way through majorwashouts and gullies.
Picnic lunch somewhere up on the plateau. 10Kms on road
and then onto a beautiful, narrow, sinuous mountain track – so narrow and steep in places that the support vehicle can find it difficult - before we come back out for the final 8km on road
down the fertile Dades Gorge
, taking us to our night’s accommodation.
We are staying in a 4* hotel with unusual local decor and spectacular views across the Dades valley towards the High Atlas, offering spacious accommodation and plentiful buffet meals.
Day 3 – (approx. 250km)
Leave hotel after breakfast and depart for Erfoud
The first 30Kms are south of Dades on a flat plateau that leads us into the Jbel Saghro mountain range. This range of mountains is arguably the most beautiful in Morocco. Very twisting, well prepared tracks with stunning views are waiting to be ridden. 100Kms after the days start we stop for a coffee break on the mainroad joining Alnif in the south with Tinerhir in the north.
After coffee it’s a further 60Kms to lunch at an auberge (Moroccan inn) close to the desert village of Mcissi. We refuel in Mcissi then it’s off again through the Moroccan desert on some fast, sinuous trails. We navigate by GPS through small dunes and dry riverbeds and visit the unusual constructions of The Orion’s Star and the Stairway to the Stars both designed by a German architect out in the middle of the desert. Particular care to be taken on this section.
Cool beers by the pool in our 4* hotel – sister hotel to the previous night’s, with stunning unusual décor and buffet dinner.
Day 4 – (approx. 200km)
Breakfast and make our way to Urg Chebbi (about 45Kms) and the famous Red Dunes at Merzouga, where we will attempt to reach the top of the highest "cathedral"dune.
After lunch in a local auberge, a further 150Kms starting with hardpacked winding tracks to a large dry sandy riverbed crossing. Then it’s onto very pleasant, fast winding, sandy trails. Loads of Acacia trees and for those who know East Africa you could be there – just missing the giraffes and elephants –and on to tonight’s accommodation in our pleasant Berber bivouac with hotshowers, situated close to a large area of middle sized dunes.
In the late afternoon/early evening, once the sand has cooled down, weather permitting those wanting more biking can go and play in the dunes or alternatively walk to the top.
Campfire and local “Tamtam” (drummers) in the evening.
Day 5 – (approx. 220km)Breakfast and another chance to play in the dunes before we head out across the desert towards Remlia where we refuel the bikes from the village shop using old wine bottles (no health and safety considerations here). The 28Kms from Remlia to the small hamlet of M'harech where we stop for lunch, is 'fesh fesh'(a very soft powder not unlike cement dust). This section can be quite a challenge.
From here weturn North across a very flat plateau on super-fast twisting tracks that wind around all the flat topped hills and Acacia trees that dominate this area (those of you wanting to attempt some of the numerous sandy dunes that are formed by the wind piling up the sand against these rocky formations are welcome).
Don't get any air though; it’s not sand waiting on the other side but big,gnarly rocks. In the town of Tazzarine we refuel and have a drink before setting out on our last 50Kms of the day that brings us out at a viewpoint just above the village of N'Kob before we carry on to our 3* hotel which is a renovated Kasbah.
Day 6 – (approx. 205km)
Breakfast, refuel and we are off again. 8Kms of deeply rutted sandy riverbed will warm you up for the days ride up and over the Jbel Saghro mountain range for the second time on this tour, but a different route. Very beautiful, rocky tracks with truly amazing views south over 'Monument' valley and north towards the Atlas Mountains before bringing us to Skoura where we have lunch at a small Moroccan restaurant.
The last 105kms of track into Ouarzazate take us into the foothills of the Atlas before turning south down a black sandy riverbed and into our garage where Hussein (our mechanic) will check over your bike for damages.
Transfer back to Ouarzazate airport
Here's a list of what is included with our Desert TourThe bikes
KTM 450 EXC
Note: We have a fleet of 16 bikes of which a couple are lowered. Please request this possibility at the time of booking and we will do our best to comply.
- 3rd party insurance
- All fuel
Note: A GPS is installed on each bike with each days route installed
- MX shirt and trousers
- Chest protector
- Knee protectors
- Elbow protectors
NOTE: For guaranteed comfort we always recommend you bring your own boots however we can supply these for a one off charge of 50€.
VERY IMPORTANT: For safety reasons we are NOT supplying helmets anymore. You need to bring your own MX style helmet with a fixed chin-bar, enduro goggles and gloves.
Pick-up & transfer to/from Ouarzazarte airport to our local hotel. (Return transfers from Marrakech can be arranged for you. We try to join bikers up to reduce costs)
Twin share accommodation with half board
Picnic or cafe lunches
Drinking water during the day's biking (carried in the 4x4)
Support vehicle with driver & mechanic, equipped with:
- Large first aid box
- Medical equipment
- Satellite phone
We are very confident our bikes
will not have anything other than minor problems, and we feel sure that you, as temporary "owner" of our bike
, will look after it as if it were your own and as such will return it to us in good order. If the bike becomes unusable due to an accident then you could be doing the rest of the tour in the support vehicle. So please go carefully and take care of our bikes - and yourselves!
The following is a list of what you need to organise, arrange, supply or bring with you for our Morocco Desert tour.
- Return flights
- Medical insurance, with repatriation (OBLIGATORY)
- A 700€ returnable deposit against bike and/or GPS damage. This is paid by credit card. We have a credit card machine through which we block the deposit against your account until the end of the tour, when the bikes are checked.
- Pocket money - for souvenirs, alcohol and soft drinks etc... Reckon 50€ unless you drink a lot!!
- Helmet, boots, gloves & goggles
NOTE: For guaranteed comfort we always recommend you bring your ownboots however we can supply these for a one off charge of 50€.
VERYIMPORTANT: For safety reasons we are NOT supplying helmets anymore. You need tobring your own MX style helmet with a fixed chin-bar, enduro goggles andgloves.
A FULL BIKING LICENCE IS NEEDED - SO BRING IT WITH YOU! SORRY IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT WITH YOU, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO BIKE.
Recommended Clothing & Accessories
- T-shirts per day
- Lightweight thermal underwear (just in case)
- Pair of casual shirts for wearing at the hotels
- Pair of Trousers/jeans for wearing at the hotels
- Swim wear
- Small head torch for the desert bivouac
- Jumper or fleece
- A platypus drinking system with tube (about 1.5 litres) – to go in a backpack (OBLIGATORY)
Small medical kit comprising:
- Aspirins/paracetamol – some form of pain killer
- Anti-inflammatory pills/cream
- Lip salve – to avoid chapped lips
- Sun cream
- Rehydration powders.
- Energy/glucose tablets to chew during the days
Note: Your doctor or GP will be able to advise you further
Moto Aventures also carries a large medical box in the assistance vehicle.
The assistance vehicle has limited space to carry luggage so we supply a barrel type soft bag - 40liters - for each client to put their personal effects and clothing into for the tour. Only this bag permitted. Bear in mind you will be in biking gear most of the time so please think carefully what you bring. We would also appreciate keeping the weight down. Any excess gear can be left at our base and picked up at the end of the tour.
PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ANY MEDICATION OR FOOD BEFORE COMMENCING THE TOUR
MOTO AVENTURES EUROPA S.L.
(hereinafter referred to as 'the Company') accepts clients, and any accompanying 4x4 passengers (hereinafter referred to collectively as 'the Client') subject to the following conditions:
- BOOKING AND PAYMENTS
- The 30% deposit paid at the time of booking is accepted as part of the total cost of the tour and will not be refunded unless the applicant cannot be offered a place.
- The balance of the total cost for the tour must reach us no later than EIGHT weeks before the tour date.
Cancellation charges on BALANCE payments are as follows;
- 7 - 8 weeks before departure by Client - 50% refund.
- 4 - 7 weeks before departure by Client - 40% refund.
- 2 - 4 weeks before departure by Client - 25% refund.
- 0 - 2 weeks before departure by Client - no refund.
- The Client must
- be in possession of a full motorbike driving license at all times during the tour
- have made known to the Company any endorsements or restrictions made to his driving license by the licensing authorities.
- Only the Client recognized and accepted by the Company may drive the motorbike.
- Should the Client cause the motorbike to be retained or embargoed, all costs will be payable by the Client, including any losses to the Company whilst the motorbike is immobilized.
- All fines, judicial costs, etc., derived from any form of traffic infraction or other, which are against the motorbike, the Company or the Client, and caused by the Client during the period of this contract, will be payable by the Client except when caused by the Company.
- The Company reserves the right to refuse to allow the Client's participation in the event that the Company's insurance agent will not accept the Client as an insurable risk.
- When using one of the Company bikes or equipment, the Client agrees to pay a deposit of SEVEN HUNDRED EUROS before beginning the tour, which will be returned in full provided that no damage has occurred to either bike or GPS.
- WHEELIES ARE NOT ALLOWED - If damage is caused as the result of doing a wheelie the Client will be responsible for the cost of ALL damages.
- If, for whatever reason, it is not possible to check the bikes at the end of the tour, the Company will have up to 7 days to advise the Client of any damages and costs due
- The Client understands that:
- he/she is responsible for his/her own personal insurance with repatriation and acknowledges the inherent risk and dangers of the tour
- will travel entirely at his/her own risk
- neither the Company, its agents, or any other person assisting with them, is liable for any personal loss, injury, accident, damage, delay or inconvenience, whether caused by acts of the Company, its agents or events outside the Company's control (e.g. strikes, civil war, mechanical breakdown, weather etc.)
- due to the nature of the tour, no responsibility can be accepted by the Company for any damage, loss, or accident to a Client's vehicle or other property, whether owned, on hire, or loaned to the Client.
- if the Client leaves the tour voluntarily before completion of the tour, or is required to do so by a Company representative, then all liability that the Company may bear to that Client will cease immediately, and the Company will have no responsibility for repatriation or any other expenses incurred by the Client which may arise out of such an event.
- he/she will abide by the authority and decisions of the Company and/or its representatives.
- The Company reserve the right to alter or cancel all or part of the tour without prior notice. If a tour is cancelled, any payments already received by the Company will be refunded in full.
- The Client will comply strictly with the laws and customs of all countries visited, whether in respect of health, immigration, exchange control, drugs, or any other matter.
- All distances and information quoted in our itineraries are approximates. These are meant as a rough guide and can vary if there is a change of route. At all times we will try to maintain this itinerary but due to climatic conditions or availability of accommodation the company might have to alter part of it.
- Any dispute that may arise between the Client and the Company will be dealt with under the jurisdiction of the country where the Company is registered.
- Costs incurred by the Company (including lawyer and procurator fees) whilst reclaiming monies owed by the Client from this contract, will be payable by the Client.
- The Company reserves the right to alter or change all or part of these Terms & Conditions without prior notice.